What is the program?
- Our training is 4 classroom sessions of 60 to 90 minutes. Application open in the Spring for Fall 2022
- Up to 20 hours of time spent in clinic scribing for nurse practitioners and physicians, with support from medical students with scribe experience (Fall 2021 to Spring 2022)
- Scribe sites of Snake River Community Clinic in Lewiston, Idaho and Nimiipuu Health in Lapwai, Idaho.
- One-on-one assessments during the training for preparation for scribe role in clinical environments
Who can participate?
- Interested high school seniors from Lewiston, Clarkston and Lapwai High Schools. Our first cohort is limited to 5-6 students.
- Download and fill out our application.
- Please note that because of COVID-19 pandemic, there will likely be waivers required for participation in the clinics as a medical scribe. More information to follow, dependent on clinic requirements for 2021-2022.
Who would be a good fit?
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Fast typing or note-taking!
- Multitasking and staying on track: some scribes answer phones, take messages, and call other healthcare professionals for consults
- Ability to take feedback (every medical provider has different preferences)
- Excellent English spelling and grammar
- A good grasp of medical terminology
- Interest in healthcare professions
What are requirements to complete the program?
- Hours requirements as above
- Excellence in professionalism and communication: students can reschedule or miss two sessions of classroom time or scribe one-on-one training, but if there is are two “no-shows” without explanation or communication, we will ask medical scribe to leave the program.
- Adherence to patient privacy and HIPAA requirements are an absolute must within our communities; any violations of patient privacy will result in termination from program.
Why do this?
- Scribing can be excellent full-time or part-time work in larger healthcare markets (Boise, Spokane, etc.)
- If completing the program, we can offer proof of training and letter of recommendation for future employment in healthcare / medical scribing
- Resume building for college / pre-health tracks