Changing Life through Lenses
We are partnering with community eye doctors to help provide eye exams and through the Essilor Foundation’s Program. Changing Life Through Lenses qualified patients can receive a free pair of glasses.
No-cost, single vision or bifocal glasses for qualified patients
Individuals at, or below, the poverty level without vision insurance for this pair of glasses, as reasonably determined by the provider
No age or citizenship restrictions
Take a Mental Health Screening
When we think about cancer, heart disease, or diabetes, we don't wait years to treat them. We start way before Stage 4. We begin with prevention. This is what we should be doing when people have serious mental illnesses. When they first begin to experience symptoms such as loss of sleep, feeling tired for no reason, feeling low or anxious, or hearing voices, we should act. These early symptoms might not ever become serious. It typically takes ten years from the time they first appear until someone gets a correct diagnosis and proper treatment. By ignoring the symptoms, we lose ten years in which we could intervene in order to change people's lives for the better. We offer choices and support for recovery including clinical services, drugs, peer support, counseling, family support and other therapies to help manage thoughts and emotions.
Intervening as early as possible preserves education, employment, social supports, housing and brain power! Our providers are conscious to the relationship between mental health and body health. We understand that fifty percent of all adults will struggle with a mental health problem at some point in their life. For those that feel ambivalence about addressing concerns with a provider, Mental Health America has provided a tool to help. Visit the website and fill out the worksheet Your Mind and Your Body: Talking to Your Doctor About Mental Health.
Our services are provided at no charge to the under-served. The clinic welcomes everyone and if we are unable to serve you we will do our best to help you find resources.
Winter Play Pledge 2022
Pledge to get outside and play—for your health and the health of the community coming February 2022.
Medical Scribe Program: Training in Progress
What is the program?
- Our training is 4 classroom sessions of 60 to 90 minutes. Application open in the Spring for Fall 2022
- Up to 20 hours of time spent in clinic scribing for nurse practitioners and physicians, with support from medical students with scribe experience (Fall 2021 to Spring 2022)
- Scribe sites of Snake River Community Clinic in Lewiston, Idaho and Nimiipuu Health in Lapwai, Idaho.
- One-on-one assessments during the training for preparation for scribe role in clinical environments
Who can participate?
- Interested high school seniors from Lewiston, Clarkston and Lapwai High Schools. Our first cohort is limited to 5-6 students.
- Download and fill out our application.
- Please note that because of COVID-19 pandemic, there will likely be waivers required for participation in the clinics as a medical scribe. More information to follow, dependent on clinic requirements for 2021-2022.
Who would be a good fit?
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Fast typing or note-taking!
- Multitasking and staying on track: some scribes answer phones, take messages, and call other healthcare professionals for consults
- Ability to take feedback (every medical provider has different preferences)
- Excellent English spelling and grammar
- A good grasp of medical terminology
- Interest in healthcare professions
What are requirements to complete the program?
- Hours requirements as above
- Excellence in professionalism and communication: students can reschedule or miss two sessions of classroom time or scribe one-on-one training, but if there is are two “no-shows” without explanation or communication, we will ask medical scribe to leave the program.
- Adherence to patient privacy and HIPAA requirements are an absolute must within our communities; any violations of patient privacy will result in termination from program.
Why do this?
- Scribing can be excellent full-time or part-time work in larger healthcare markets (Boise, Spokane, etc.)
- If completing the program, we can offer proof of training and letter of recommendation for future employment in healthcare / medical scribing
- Resume building for college / pre-health tracks